Subscribe to our newsletter


Dear SCV Members,

I wanted to send you an update regarding the AGM, the Club’s precautionary measures around Cornavirus (COVID-19), Accommodation Bookings, Parking and Membership Fees.

You will be aware that, at the time of writing, there are well in excess of 100,000 cases of Coronavirus reported around the globe. Consequently, the Club is planning for scenarios that are no longer merely a hypothetical. We will continue to be operating in a very fluid and changing environment. Our role is to remain balanced in our outlook and continue to make decisions focusing on the welfare of our Members, based on the most recent information available.

The Ski Club of Victoria is an institution to many who have spent time at Mt Buller, either as children learning to ski and making friends or for adults a place to cement those friendships and recant old stories of how they were or still are the fastest down the race course.

2020 looks as if it may deliver an unprecedented challenge in the form of COVID-19 not only to your club, but to the wider community. As current Chairman of the SCV board, one of my core tenets is to ensure that I leave the club in a better position that when I first undertook the role of Chair by advancing its long term sustainability and offering to members.

With unknown outcomes in 2020 due to COVID-19, your membership and continued support of the club is more important than ever. As Chair of the SCV that is now 96 years old and rapidly approaching its 100th birthday, retaining your support through this year is crucial. I ask all members, if they have not yet paid their annual membership, could you please do so as soon as possible. If you require a copy of your invoice please contact our reservations team on 5777 6024 or email them at

The SCV is a small community but a great one, and we are only great because of our members. Hopefully we get a full season of skiing, and 2020 improves from here.

2020 Annual General Meeting

With the AGM to be held on Wednesday 18th March and the deteriorating
outlook that is driven by Covid-19, the executive and the board of the
SCV would like to advise

The AGM is to go ahead on Wednesday 18th from 7:30pm at Kooyong Tennis

I understand the reluctance to gather in groups currently, so the
board is offering the following:

Regarding resolutions, if you feel you can not make the meeting and
you would like to discuss them in detail, please feel free to call:

James Soutter, SCV President – 0400 651 526
Ian Coltman, SCV Director & Company Secretary – 0413 050 901
Eric Siewert, SCV General Manager – 0428 682 100

Other areas to be presented at the AGM include the granting of our
planning permit for the development of excess SCV land, an operational
overview of 2019 and what 2020 season may look like.

As I am expecting a lower than normal turnout, the club requires a
quorum of 30 paid up members, could I request that members put forward
their proxy to either a fellow member who is attending, a board member
or myself as Chairman. Please email proxies to
While normally proxies are required to be delivered 48 hours before
the AGM, we will accept any delivered in person on the night.

Club Precautions 

It is likely that in the coming weeks and months, someone within our SCV community may be directly impacted by Coronavirus COVID-I9. Therefore, the SCV  is developing a contingency plan aimed at minimising and managing the impact that such an event would inflict. Some of the initiatives in place or in development include:

  • Improved hygiene practices with increased cleaning schedules and more thorough cleaning being undertaken – including the disinfecting of handrails and doorknobs.
  • Implementing a formal process for managing an event where a Member or staff informs the Club of a positive diagnosis of Coronavirus COVID-19.
  • Avoiding person to person physical contact where possible (such as handshakes)
  • Developing a wider-Club quarantine plan in the event that multiple Members are infected.
  • Preparing for a scenario where SCV is obliged to close for a period of time. 

As events continue to unfold, the SCV will consistently review and improve its approach leading into Winter to identify potential risks and implement mitigation activities as more becomes known of the virus.

We have received advice from the Department of Health and Human Services regarding recommendations we should make as a Club, as follows:
It is recommended that Members or staff do not attend the Club if they have:

  • left, or transited through mainland China in the last 14 days (they must isolate themselves for 14 days from leaving mainland China)
  • left, or transited through Iran on or after 1 March (they must isolate themselves until 14 days after leaving Iran)
  • left, or transited through the Republic of Korea on or after 5 March (they must isolate themselves until 14 days after leaving the Republic of Korea)
  • been in close contact with a confirmed case of Coronavirus in the last 14 days (they must isolate themselves for 14 days after the date of last contact with the confirmed case).

In addition, the Australian Government considers Italy to be at higher risk for COVID-19.

If you are returning from these countries, you need to monitor your health for the next 14 days. If you believe that you are beginning to show symptoms of the virus, please contact your GP immediately. If you, or someone with whom you have had close contact with, has been diagnosed with COVID-19 seek medical advise.

In order to minimise any risk to our community, the following is provided for your information:

The spread of Coronavirus can be prevented by practising good hand hygiene and sneeze/cough hygiene. It is the best defence against most viruses:

  • wash hands frequently with soap and water, before and after eating, and after going to the toilet
  • cover coughs and sneezes, dispose of tissues, and use alcohol-based hand sanitiser
  • and if unwell, avoid contact with others (touching, kissing, hugging, and other intimate contact).  

Current symptoms of Coronavirus COVID-19 include, but are not limited to fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue and shortness of breath.
If a Member or staff develops mild symptoms, they should:

  • Isolate themselves from others at home and use a separate bathroom if available:
  • Put on a surgical mask and if they don’t have one, practise good sneeze/cough hygiene:
  • Practise good hand hygiene: and
  • Call a doctor or hospital and tell them the recent travel or close contact history.

If they have serious symptoms such as difficulty breathing, call 000, ask for an ambulance and notify the officers of the recent travel or close contact history.

Accommodation Bookings and Cancellation Policy

In light of these events, the Club has made the decision to amend the current cancellation policy and offer a full refund* to members if the need to cancel arises within 30 days of your scheduled arrival due to COVID-19. We will also offer members the option to transfer bookings to another date subject to availability or carry your credit over to the following year.

We would encourage members to continue booking their accommodation for the 2020 season knowing they are doing so risk free. All members with existing bookings will in the next few days receive an email confirming the updated policy.

Any members who currently have insurance on their bookings, in the event you need to cancel due to COVID-19 your insurance will also be refunded in full.

If you have any further questions regarding your accommodation please do not hesitate to contact us on 5777 6024 or by emailing

* a $50 administration fee applies to each booking cancelled.
* the full tariff will be refunded excluding any cc surcharges and administration fee

SCV Car Parking and Access Passes

Resort Management are in discussion with external agencies regarding the current pandemic situation and endeavor to ensure consumer confidence for the 2020 season. A refund policy will be formalized in the coming weeks and updates will be available via the Mt Buller website, stakeholder notifications and advised by SCV

Please click here to sign up for stakeholder notifications:

In the meantime, we ask all parking applications are completed and signed by the set due date to secure your park for 2020. Once we have the relevant information from the ARMB regarding the refund policy we will advise those members and they can chose to withdraw their application or provide a method of payment.

As we all strive to make the best possible decisions in these challenging circumstances, we deeply appreciate the support of our members. We will continue to update you all as new information regarding the 2020 season comes to light.

I wish all members safe passage through this current crises and please feel free to reach out to any of the board members or SCV team with any questions.

James Soutter
Club President